Our Facilitator Trainings are a first step in preparing individuals to teach our “Talking Mental Health” curriculum to teens and youth in upper elementary, middle and high school classrooms. We train facilitators to present:
- Two scripted lessons on mental illness and suicide prevention, and
- Booster lessons on the Mental Health Toolbox, Mental Health Spectrum and Stories of Lives Affected by Mental Illness.
Four Main Points
- Brains can get sick too. Mental illness is a physical illness that infects the most complex organ in the body – the brain. Like other illness, it is biological, like asthma or heart disease. Mental illness is NEVER the result of personal weakness.
- It’s stigma that keeps us from talking about it.
- Early treatment and support are critical.
- You are not alone. In New Mexico, one in four adults and teens live with a mental illness.